Having goals focuses your mind on what you need to know and do to be successful, so that you can make the most of your life. The start of a new year is great time to set goals. However, if you want to be able to achieve your goals there a few secrets in how you set them.
- Take time to plan your goals. Find a quiet place free of distractions where you can really focus on what you want to achieve for the year.
- Start by looking at what you value in life. Do you value family and friends? Your career? Your sports or hobbies? Learning? Having fun? Your values should underpin your goals. If your goals and values are not aligned you are much less likely to succeed.
- Make sure your goals are balanced. Cover all the areas of your life that are important to you – family, relationships, work, community and your own personal needs.
- Deal with short term ‘stuff’ that might get in the way of achieving your long term goals. For example, if you have a big credit card debt, you will need to pay that off before you can start saving for an overseas trip.
- Goals should be precise, clear, and meaningful. Set your goals too high and you will quickly lose motivation if you don’t succeed. Make your goals too easy and won’t be motivated either. You are much more likely to achieve your goals if you write them down and if you break them down into small steps so you can measure your progress.
There’s one significant difference between people who succeed in life and those who struggle; their ability to set goals and achieve them. To have what you want in life, you can’t just sit back and expect it to happen.